• 1 sea trout pinned and scaled approx. 1.5 – 2 kilo
• 250g sea salt
• 250g caster sugar
• 100ml gin – we use Wicked Wolf from Exmoor
• 50 ml of white wine vinegar
• one good tablespoon of dried Cornish mixed seaweed optional (can be bought online from www.cornishseaweed.co.uk)
You will also need some grapefruit segments or almond flakes.
- Place clingfilm over a tray and lay trout on it.
- Give the mixture and good stir and cover all the trout with it. Wrap up tightly in the cling film and place in a fridge for 24 hours. The longer you leave it the drier and firmer the trout goes.
- Wash the trout and wash of all the salt and gin.
- Pat dry and its ready to go.
- Slice thinly using a very sharp knife and garnish with ruby grapefruit segments. The addition of grilled flaked almonds is rather good as well.
- If you’re lucky and you have a friend who’s a trout fisherman, this recipe works just as well with river trout and lake caught trout.
Photos by www.davidgriffen.co.uk